Learn About Us

What We Believe

We believe that we are a part of the "body of Christ", a part of a community of faith that began with the gift of the Holy Spirit - God's presence with His people. We are a fellowship of those who have been restored to God by Christ. We believe we are called into a community with other believers.

The Bible is the primary and authoritative witness to the church's faith. It bears remarkable testimony to the mighty acts of God in the lives of people and nations. In the Old Testament is found the vivid account of God's covenant relationship to Israel. In the New Testament is found the story of God's new covenant with all of creation in Jesus. It's two parts support each other in teaching that God is Love through the creation of the universe, His saving grace by the redemption of sins through his son, Jesus Christ, and the gift of the Holy Spirit, our ever-present guide through faith.

When God created all things, he gave human beings a unique position in the order if creation. As males and females created in God's image, we are given the capacity and freedom to know and respond to our creator. Freedom implies that we can choose to respond to God either positively or negatively.

Lutherans believe that all people live in a condition which is the result of misused freedom. "Sin" is not so much a description of an individuals acts of wrongdoing, but rather a fractured relationship between the people of creation and God. That fractured relationship is healed through the death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. Our failure to live up the expectations God has for us reveals our continuing need for God's mercy and forgiveness.

The church is essential to Christian life and growth. Its members are all sinners in need of God's grace. It has no claim to human perfection. The church exists solely for the hearing and doing of God's Word.

Church History

St. James Lutheran Church

The St. James Lutheran Church was organized in the year 1891. The Rev. Conrad Weltner of Vilmar, Iowa had preached in and around the Allison community for at least a year prior to that date. The records show that twenty members formed the congregation, and until 1913 the congregation held services in the former Methodist Church of Allison.

In 1913, the congregation called for the erection of a church 35'x60' with a tall spire. A canvas of the members and businessmen of Allison resulted in the raising of $4,000. The church was built and dedicated that year (see picture).

The first resident pastor was called in 1921. In 1926, the house located beside the church was purchased for use as a parsonage.

In January 1947 the congregation voted to build a new church (the present structure) at a cost of about $100,000 which included the purchase price of the lots, the structure, and the church furniture. Ground was broken for the 40'x100' structure in May 1947 and the corner stone was laid October 5 of the same year. The new church was dedicated on Sunday, December 5, 1948. In June of 1963, ground-breaking services were held for a new Educational Unit to be added to the current structure. The structure, which was dedicated on May 24, 1964, is used for Sunday school and organizational meetings. A new pipe organ was dedicated on November 2, 1975. In 2004 an addition was added in the courtyard between the church and educational unit to provide offices for the pastor and church secretary.

The congregation has, by the grace of God, enjoyed steady growth throughout the years of her existance. Pastors who have served St. James since its conception are Rev. C. Weltner, Rev. A.C. Hoff, Rev. W.C. Nassen, Rev. Robert Niederwimmer, Pastor Ried Neve, Pastor Lowell Koch, Pastor C. Bruce Ulstad, Pastor Jerry Laehn, and Pastor Jeffrey Blank and Pastor Ruth Ann Shriver.

Our church has been blessed with several members who have been called to serve God in various ways. Dorothy Voigts Diemer served as a missionary in Papua New Guinea for several years. Those who went into the ministry of the Word are Jerome Riggert, Jewel Neve Pierce, Calvin Fick and Rick Miller. Currently in seminary is Francis Green.

Mission Statement

1. Worship God through the proclamation of the Word and the administration of the Sacraments.

2. Carry Out Christ's Great Commission by reaching out to all people, within and outside this congregation, proclaiming God's saving Gospel of justification by grace for Christ's sake through faith alone.

3. Serve, in response to God's love to meet the needs of all, especially the young and the aged in our congregation, community, and in the world.

4. Nurture all of its members in the Word of God to grow in faith, personal commitment, hope, and love and to use the gifts of the Spirit for their life together and for their calling in the world.

5. Manifest unity given to people of God by living together in the love of Christ and by joining other Christians world-wide in prayer and action to express and preserve the unity the Spirit gives.

To fulfill these purposes, this congregation shall:

1. Provide services of worship at which the inerrant Word of God is preached in its truth and purity and the Sacraments are administered regularly.

2. Provide pastoral care, challenge, equip, and support all members to participate in this ministry by carrying out their calling in their daily lives and in this congregation.

3. Teach the Word of God, reaching out to all people, especially the young and aged, sick and suffering, and the poor and needy.

4. Motivate its members to provide financial support for the ministry of this congregation and other parts of the world.

5. Foster and participate in relationships with the synod and Evangelical Lutheran Church of America and other ecumenical relationships consistent with church-wide policy.

This congregation shall from time to time adopt a mission statement that will provide specific directions for its programs.